Logo graphic for the WildLife Resources Division
Public Fishing Areas

Things to Know Before Fishing

Licenses Required at a PFA


  • Angers 16 years and older must possess a current fishing license, AND a Wildlife Management Area (WMA) license to fish.
  • If you have either a Sportsman's, Lifetime, Honorary (resident disability license or resident one-time veteran's license), 3-day Hunting and Fishing License, or 3-day GORP Plus you are NOT required to have a WMA license to fish.
  • A WMA license is NOT required to fish at Rocky Mountain Public Fishing Area.


To access a PFA for non-fishing activities, visitors age 16-64 must have one of the following (visitors under age 16 and/or over age 64 are exempt):

Click here to purchase a license or pass!

Hours of Operation:

Nine (of the 10) PFAs are open to the public five days each week (Wednesdays through Sundays), sunrise to sunset. The areas are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. Rocky Mountain PFA is open seven days a week as this facility is operated under contract with Oglethorpe Power.


Unless posted otherwise at a lake:

Length limit for Largemouth bass - 14 inch minimum

Daily Possession Limits:

  • Largemouth bass.....5
  • Bream or sunfish (of any one or a combination).....15
  • Channel catfish.....5
  • Grass carp (white amur) must be immediately released.
Operation of boats:
  • You can operate fishing boats propelled by paddles, oars, or electric motors on ponds or lakes, unless otherwise posted.
  • You can operate outboard motors at idle speed only on lakes posted as open to the use of outboard motors.

Receive FREE, timely updates on topics of interest. Sign Up Here!

Available Now! Click here to download.

LICENSES - 3 Ways to Buy

1. Phone 1-800-366-2661
2. Online - here
3. Retail License Vendor listing - here

Ranger Hotline


Report poaching and wildlife violations. You can receive a cash reward if your tip leads to an arrest—even if you wish to remain anonymous.
More Info >