Logo graphic for the WildLife Resources Division
Facebook Icon Twitter Icon Instagram Icon YouTube Icon WordPress Icon Email Icon
Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center

Wildlife Management Area - Hunting Opportunities

Clybel Wildlife Management Area (WMA) consists of a diversity of habitats that are home to a variety of wildlife. Typical of Georgia's Piedmont region, you will find old fields, planted pines, mixed pine-hardwood stands and mature hardwood forests. Management practices that benefit both game and nongame species include food plot rotations, mowing, prescribed burning, timber harvest and winter disking.  Click here to view an area map (note: safety zones are cross-hatched on the map).

This WMA offers many hunting opportunities. Be sure to check the current "Georgia Hunting Seasons and Regulations" booklet for specific WMA hunting dates. Most deer and turkey hunts require you to apply and be drawn via a quota system. Quota hunt applications with instructions may be found in the back of the regulations booklet or online. Other specialty deer and turkey hunts include Adult/Child and Honorary License Holder hunts (for those age 65 or older or those with a Disability License). Small game hunting is allowed during the entire state small game season except during scheduled deer hunt dates. Be sure to read the dates carefully for each game species, and see if Sign-In or Check-In is required. The Clybel WMA Check Station is located just north of Lake Bennett off Murder Creek Church Road.

If you would like to practice your shooting skills or sight-in your gun before hunting, Clybel WMA has an Archery Range and two Shooting Ranges (50-yard and 100-yard). For further details, see the Recreational Opportunities page.

Hunting Licenses: Once you know which dates are open for the species you intend to hunt, be sure you have the proper hunting licenses. For small game hunting, you will need a regular hunting license (1-day, 7-day, season or primitive weapons) and a WMA license. For deer and turkey hunts, a Big Game license also is required. Honorary and Sportsman's Licenses cover everything the state requires for hunting, with the exception of the Federal Duck Stamp if you intend to go waterfowl hunting.

The Federal Duck Stamp is available online at GoOutdoorsGeorgia.com, from Georgia license agents, at Post Offices, and online from the USFWS. There is a federally required fee for the Federal Duck Stamp.

If you were born on or after January 1, 1961 and are 16 years old or older, you will need to satisfy hunter education course requirements prior to buying a hunting license. You can purchase a license at the Visitor's Center (9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Tuesday-Saturday) or to purchase it online, click here.

Receive FREE, timely updates on topics of interest. Sign Up Here!

LICENSES - 3 Ways to Buy

1. Phone 1-800-366-2661
2. Online - here
3. Retail License Vendor listing - here

Ranger Hotline


Report poaching and wildlife violations. You can receive a cash reward if your tip leads to an arrest—even if you wish to remain anonymous.
More Info >