The Scholastic Clay Target Program (SCTP) exists to introduce school-age youth to the shooting sports and to facilitate their continued involvement by providing opportunities to safely and enjoyably participate and compete in a team-based sport led by trained adult coaches focused on enhancing the personal growth and development of their athletes.
SCTP provides the opportunity to participate in the exciting and challenging sports of trap, skeet and sporting clays in a supportive environment taught by trained and supportive adult coaches focusing on the safe handling and use of firearms.
SCTP offers participation in the American disciplines of Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays. An adult volunteer head coach and assistants lead each team. Volunteer state advisors provide support for in-state activities and support their volunteer head coaches and assistants.
HOW TO START A TEAM
- Contact your Regional Director or a GADNR Shooting Sports coordinator (Click here for list). They will be able to guide you though the process and answer specific questions or concerns. Also, review the SCTP Shooting Club handbook to get a head start on the process.
- Become a Certified Coach. You, as a coach, need to take a NRA/USA/CMP Appointed Shotgun Coaches Certification course that will certify you to coach youth shooting sports. Some things to do/know first:
- New potential Head Coaches must first contact the state SCTP administrator to discuss starting a new team.
- All new Head Coaches candidates must attend NRA/USA/CMP Appointed Shotgun Coach Certification.
- This class is offered by GADNR periodically throughout the year - link/contact for class schedules
- All new Head Coach candidates must submit to a background check.
- Identify or Recruit your Team. In many start up cases, you may already have a group of youth ready to go or you may need to set up community information and a registration meeting.
- Funding and Competition. Your team could qualify for funding if team members are certified in Georgia's Hunter Education Course.
- Shoot and Have Fun! Find SCTP events and sanctioned competitions (SCTP calendar ).
 http://www.georgiawildlife.com/sites/default/files/uploads/wildlife/general/pdf/ShootingSports/SCTP/SCTP Advisors and WRD ShootingSport Coordinators.pdf
 http://www.shootgycts.org/Home_files/GA SCTP - High School Handbook.pdf