Public Fishing Areas (PFAs) are great places for family outings. Currently, there are 10 PFAs located around the state. You can fish from the bank or a boat, picnic, hike, watch wildlife, camp (not all areas provide camping - check individual PFA page links on the right for more details), and enjoy being outdoors. Good bank fishing opportunities are available and many areas have special kids fishing areas for young anglers. So check out a PFA and see what you, your family, and friends have been missing!
What to expect at a PFA:
- Clean, safe, well-maintained, and family-friendly fishing environment.
- A variety of fish species available for harvest and the potential for catching a fish of a lifetime at some PFAs. Fish species available to the angler include: largemouth bass, bream, channel catfish, hybrid striped bass, and crappie.
- Fish have been tested for contaminants for your safety - PFA lakes have been sampled as part of the DNR fish consumption testing program .
- Intensively managed lakes and ponds including those that receive fertilization and liming to increase fish harvest opportunities.
- One or more intensively managed ponds or lakes at a PFA so you can find just the right water body for your fishing experience.
- Boat ramps and fishing piers at many lakes.
- Restrooms and vending machines (drinks and snacks at some PFAs).
- On-site maintenance staff and Area Managers at many PFAs.